Welcome to our Forum, Guest.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Help/FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions. You may have to Login or Register, before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Welcome to the Avon RC Flyer's Forum.

Random Quote: If a mute kid swears does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Gallery Home Page

NEWS:
See our new field weather station!
  Home Avon Field Weather Field Wind Speed Field Orientation Weather Network Gallery Home Gallery Pictures MembersLoginRegisterAwardsQuizzesGuestbookContactHelp  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Ches Lockhart Cup (Read 520 times)

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Yesterday
Join: Mar 22nd, 2010

Dartmouth
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Awards: 3
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers MemberTop Poster Award

Mood:

Show the link to this post The Ches Lockhart Cup
Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:08pm

Some of the older fliers in the Maritimes will remember Ches Lockhart! He was a superb builder of scale aircraft back in the 70's and early 80's - Harvard, P40, Lysander, big Cub, gorgeous aircraft all. After his death in about 1985, we put together a scale event at the Great Atlantic Fun Fly, which Dayle Smith and I CD'd at the Debert airport. After we lost the Debert venue, the scale event faded away, with Randy Wambolt being the last winner in 1989!

BUT NOW IT'S BACK

Avon is hosting our first Scale Fly In! The event is September 9th, 2017, with a rain date on September 10th, 2017. All planes must be a recognizable scale airplane, but recognizable is subjective. Piper Cub? Crop Duster? Beaver? Otter? War Bird? IMAC plane? Leave your Falcon 56 or your 4 Star 40 home, but if it's a scale representation of a real plane, bring it along!! Gas, glow, electric, all are welcome. There will a Pilots' Choice vote for the BEST OF SCALE, and the Ches Lockhart Memorial Cup is the prize. There will be a BBQ. We are located at #4499 Highway #14 behind Daniel U-Pick. Registration starts at 8:30 with a landing fee of $10.00. Flying starts at 9:00
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:08pm by Fingers »  

Karma is everything

IP Logged

dano
Club Member
The Avon Splish Splash!!
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Oct 17th, 2017
Join: Jul 7th, 2011

Kingston, NS
Awards: 2
Combat Scale Gas/Glow AwardAvon RC flyers Member

Mood:

Show the link to this post Re: The Ches Lockhart Cup
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 6:12pm

Excellent presentations Sandy!
Hopefully we can bring a popular event back to life...
I suspect there are still some scale fanatics out there........

Dan Marchand

IP Logged

al
3D Pilot
Your a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

Join: Apr 26th, 2012

Zodiac sign: Aries

Mood:

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 10:11pm

Nice to see this back Sandy!   Ches was a wonderful man who took a strong liking to my son Jon when he was just a toddler.  Jon was flipping props on beat up discarded planes on the Margaree runway long before he ever flew, many of those from Ches Lockhart.  Wonderful memories!!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2017 at 10:11pm by al »  

IP Logged

MkIX
Club Member
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

One seat, one engine,
guns....

LastOn: Oct 17th, 2017
Join: Jan 29th, 2012

Bedford
Awards: 2
Combat Scale Gas/Glow AwardAvon RC flyers Member

Mood:

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 3:26pm

Would really love to attend this event, but I'll be out of the country on Sept 9/10.  Hopefully someone will post some pics.

Mike P.   Warbirds just look cool!

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

Join: Mar 22nd, 2010

Dartmouth
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Awards: 3
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers MemberTop Poster Award

Mood:

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:13pm

Who would guess, that after a week or so of high winds and crud, we'd luck out like we did!!!!! Sunny skies, with no wind to speak of, couldn't ask for better flying weather...The guys on the list had the pits and parking done, then Don and Wayne came in and manicured the whole darn place, a tremendous image presented to the visiting fliers..way to go guys.  Group Hug
Thirty fliers signed up, and while a few of those might not have flown, the sky was full of planes all day. I didn't get a count of planes, but more than a few fellows brought and flew multiple models.
As usual, Chris and Don prepared a great lunch for everyone, then, to top it all off, Chris' beautiful grand daughters brought plates of his birthday cake around to most of the fliers....what a treat!

These photos courtesy of Rae Coyle..
Every pilot had a ballot for "Pilots' Choice", and after the smoke cleared the ballots were counted by myself and Details Marchand, audited by Blades Bell. Jeremy Dann's Fokker just edged Todd Fowler's Strega out for the award. 
Will we do it again? YES! Ches Lockhart was standing behind the fence with that huge grin of his, lapping it up. A lot of super planes, and I didn't notice any that were tail heavy....
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:14pm by Fingers »  

20170909_123016.jpg (208 KB | 36 )
20170909_123016.jpg
20170909_122810.jpg (155 KB | 33 )
20170909_122810.jpg

Karma is everything

IP Logged

al
3D Pilot
Your a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

Join: Apr 26th, 2012

Mood:

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:56pm

Thanks you for the excellent report Sandy.  I'm gonna steal it for the MAAC newsletter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter Google Digg del.icio.us reddit Linked in MySpace StumbleUpon Yahoo
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic