Welcome to our Forum, Guest.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Help/FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions. You may have to Login or Register, before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Welcome to the Avon RC Flyer's Forum.

Random Quote: I am immortal. I'm bored. Let's party.

Gallery Home Page

NEWS:
See our new field weather station!
  Home Weather Network Avon Field Weather Field Wind Speed Field Orientation Gallery Home Gallery Pictures MembersLoginRegisterAwardsQuizzesGuestbookContactHelp  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Runway mowing (Read 2,207 times)

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Yesterday
Join: Mar 22nd, 2010

Dartmouth
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Awards: 3
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers MemberTop Poster Award

Mood:

Show the link to this post Runway mowing
Jul 6th, 2016 at 9:18pm

The runways will be
largely
  unmowed for this weekend. they are usable by the larger planes, but small .400 and .60 size planes might have trouble.

Dan and I spent most of today putting a new belt on the mower, but the machine kept throwing the belt off. After 8 or 10 tries the belt finally broke.  Angry  We have 1 belt coming on Friday (hope hope hope) but the techie can't get there till Monday. Because of the frustration of today, we decided to wait and have him show us where we are wrong, despite following the schematic to the letter.....yet another belt is on order as backup.

Kevin Beaver is to be commended for mowing a large chunk of the run ways with his 20" mower. He also did the pits, the west startup area, and the dining area between the fence and the road....upstanding guy!!!  Smiley

We'll let you know as soon as the mower  is running..

Karma is everything

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!

Forum User

Dartmouth

Mood:

Show the link to this post Re: Runway mowing
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 2:45pm

Monday, July 11

We met the technician at the field about 9:30, and he installed the new belt, and it works great. This machine will only work with OEM belts made by MTD. Other belts, like the "NAPA" one we tried last week, is not nearly stiff enough. We have 2 sources of these OEM belts, and 1 is on order to hang in the shed - we shouldn't require it for several years.

THINGS TO NOTE:

*  The technician removed the 2 shrouds to install the belt, and recommended very strongly to leave them off. Cut grass gathers up under the shrouds and will overheat the belt.

*  With the shrouds off, the pulleys are exposed, but are safe with reasonable care - exercise that care!!

*  If the grass is a bit long, or a bit damp, mow from the outside of the runways to the center. This will leave damp cuttings on the runway, but they will blow away as they dry and the wind comes up. If the cuttings are a problem, there is a rake that can be towed behind the green machine - use it.

*  When you are done mowing, clean the top of the deck - last week when we first took the shrouds off, there was a whack of cuttings around the pulleys. Also clean under the deck around the blades. Both these basic housekeeping items will help prolong the life of the mower and belts.

Karma is everything

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!

Forum User

Dartmouth

Mood:

Show the link to this post Re: Runway mowing
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 7:05pm

This is an example of how much grass gets caught up in the mower deck - this accumulation will eventually clog and overheat the belt....

please clean the deck after mowing

mowergrass.jpg (57 KB | 153 )
mowergrass.jpg

Karma is everything

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter Google Digg del.icio.us reddit Linked in MySpace StumbleUpon Yahoo
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic