Welcome to our Forum, Guest.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Help/FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions. You may have to Login or Register, before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Welcome to the Avon RC Flyer's Forum.

Random Quote: There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

Gallery Home Page

NEWS:
See our new field weather station!
  Home Weather Network Avon Field Weather Field Wind Speed Field Orientation Gallery Home Gallery Pictures MembersLoginRegisterAwardsQuizzesGuestbookContactHelp  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting a recalcitrant new DLE (Read 4,419 times)

waverider
Aerobatic Pilot
The Great White Flounder
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Frozen Solid

LastOn: Aug 7th, 2020
Join: Nov 8th, 2010

Edmonton
Zodiac sign: Gemini
Awards: 1
Post 2Yr Award

Mood:

Show the link to this post Starting a recalcitrant new DLE
Sep 24th, 2015 at 8:10pm

SOLUTION - origin Mike
The object is just to get the pump diaphragm, carb body, and inlet needle/seat wet with fuel mix. The surface tension of the fluids then help the diaphragm seal onto the carb body and to lubricate the inlet needle and seat, nothing is done on the metering side of the carb, just the pump side. Once this is done it will always work fine unless you run your carb dry and let it sit for a month or two.

Mine had the same problem when brand new. I pulled the cowl off and primed the engine the old-fashioned way....I squirted gas down the carb throat. It started. I later came to find out that the low-speed needle was too lean. (Thanks, Jody) I adjusted the needles and it is a great running engine.

loosen the four screws on the diaphragm cover on the carb.now pressurize the fuel tank until you see fuel coming out, under the diaphragm cover.while fuel is coming out tighten the four screws,now the carb is wet and will not siphon back into the tank.i bet it will start rite up

Pop off pressure has nothing to do with how a carb pulls fuel when choked.....The piston moving up creates a suction in the crankcase, which is what pulls the fuel through the fuel line...If the carb venturi is completely closed all that suction is acting on the fuel line...If there is a leak anywhere in the line or if the inlet needle is stuck closed there will be no fuel drawn....PERIOD....Take the cover off, the one with 4 screws....Gently push on the long end of the lever to un seat the needle...Put the gasket on the carb, then the diaphragm, then the cover...
Cover the venturi with your thumb, then rotate the crank.....If all is well you will see fuel move in the line...If it goes back toward the tank the inlet needle is leaking....
If there is a leak anywhere in the case, under the cylinder, under the carb, in the crankcase joint, at the front crank seal, there will be no suction...There are no other possibilities...

The object is just to get the pump diaphragm, carb body, and inlet needle/seat wet with fuel mix. The surface tension of the fluids then help the diaphragm seal onto the carb body and to lubricate the inlet needle and seat, nothing is done on the metering side of the carb, just the pump side. Once this is done it will always work fine unless you run your carb dry and let it sit for a month or two.

Mine had the same problem when brand new. I pulled the cowl off and primed the engine the old-fashioned way....I squirted gas down the carb throat. It started. I later came to find out that the low-speed needle was too lean. (Thanks, Jody) I adjusted the needles and it is a great running engine.

loosen the four screws on the diaphragm cover on the carb.now pressurize the fuel tank until you see fuel coming out, under the diaphragm cover.while fuel is coming out tighten the four screws,now the carb is wet and will not siphon back into the tank.i bet it will start rite up

Pop off pressure has nothing to do with how a carb pulls fuel when choked.....The piston moving up creates a suction in the crankcase, which is what pulls the fuel through the fuel line...If the carb venturi is completely closed all that suction is acting on the fuel line...If there is a leak anywhere in the line or if the inlet needle is stuck closed there will be no fuel drawn....PERIOD....Take the cover off, the one with 4 screws....Gently push on the long end of the lever to un seat the needle...Put the gasket on the carb, then the diaphragm, then the cover...
Cover the venturi with your thumb, then rotate the crank.....If all is well you will see fuel move in the line...If it goes back toward the tank the inlet needle is leaking....
If there is a leak anywhere in the case, under the cylinder, under the carb, in the crankcase joint, at the front crank seal, there will be no suction...There are no other possibilities...
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2015 at 8:14pm by waverider »  

Brian H
"I see no ships"

IP Logged

waverider
Aerobatic Pilot
The Great White Flounder
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Frozen Solid

LastOn: Aug 7th, 2020
Join: Nov 8th, 2010

Edmonton
Zodiac sign: Gemini
Awards: 1
Post 2Yr Award

Mood:

Show the link to this post Re: Starting a recalcitrant new DLE
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 8:14pm

Well Mike; tried the pressure trick on the new DLE55 carb I put on the 53, with a difference. Instead of pressurizing the tank, i pulled the line off the carb and hooked the fuel pump directly to it....loosened the screws, turned the crank, and voila (that's French for bout time something worked right) there was fuel coming under the edge. Not a gusher, but the gasket was turning wet.

Hooked the tank back up, 4 flips on choke and "bark". Usual 7 on choke open and engine running!!!

Brian H
"I see no ships"

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Yesterday
Join: Mar 22nd, 2010

Dartmouth
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Awards: 3
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers MemberTop Poster Award

Mood:

Show the link to this post Re: Starting a recalcitrant new DLE
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 8:48pm

Quoi?

Karma is everything

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter Google Digg del.icio.us reddit Linked in MySpace StumbleUpon Yahoo
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic