Welcome to our Forum, Guest.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Help/FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions. You may have to Login or Register, before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Welcome to the Avon RC Flyer's Forum.

Random Quote: I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.

Gallery Home Page

NEWS:
See our new field weather station!
  Home Weather Network Avon Field Weather Field Wind Speed Field Orientation Gallery Home Gallery Pictures MembersLoginRegisterAwardsQuizzesGuestbookContactHelp  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gear covers (Read 7,479 times)

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Today
Join: Mar 22nd, 2010

Dartmouth
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Awards: 3
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers MemberTop Poster Award

Mood:

Show the link to this post Gear covers
Jan 5th, 2014 at 1:51pm

Sitting here finishing up my bottle of Jagermeister, I decided to treat this as a new project - the small hurri will fly (?) with or without the gear covers, but they look so neat I don't want to omit them....

The way the gear is set up, the geometry means the wheels are 10 degrees off level with the wing bottom when retracted, angling front  to back. Therefore, if the gear covers are parallel to the wing surface when retracted, when the gear is down, the covers will be angled in, front to back the same amount.  Huh Sign

Some threads have said there is  no discernible drag to the covers when down, some threads have said there is a fair amount of drag.. my thought is simply that they will look like hell if the covers are pointed in. front to back, by 10 deg.  Swear Word

The real plane has a drag link of some kind, attached at the upper 1/4 point, which rotates the real gear as it retracts... as shown in the "real" photo.

It's  not too hard to attach the cover to the gear leg so that it is free to rotate and stays in place "up and down", what I need is a way "make" the cover rotate the correct amount.  a link using that drag arm should be workable, but  Help Me

This will involve, I think, more math than I know - i max out at Pie "R" round...so you math guys, including engineers, can pick at this

This is Good
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2014 at 2:23pm by Fingers »  

gear_001_01.JPG (148 KB | 294 )
gear_001_01.JPG
gear_002_01.JPG (113 KB | 306 )
gear_002_01.JPG
DSC02210.jpg (82 KB | 302 )
DSC02210.jpg

Karma is everything

IP Logged

Glen
Club Member
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

Join: Aug 5th, 2011

Sackville
Zodiac sign: Pisces
Awards: 2
Combat Scale Gas/Glow AwardAvon RC flyers Member

Mood:

Show the link to this post Re: Gear covers
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 7:33pm

Finger's it's pie R square  Roll Eyes

On a more useful note, I see the wheel's aren't flush in the wells. On the vailly hurri I believe the retract mount is bolted in unevenly so the wheel is flush in the well and the wheel ends up straight when down as well. Perhaps you could try that sort of geometry by putting a few washers under the retracts and trying them up and down. You might come out with a workable compromise.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2014 at 7:38pm by Glen »  

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!

Forum User

Dartmouth

Mood:

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 8:32pm

Glen wrote on Jan 5th, 2014 at 7:33pm:
Finger's it's pie R square  Roll Eyes

On a more useful note, I see the wheel's aren't flush in the wells. On the vailly hurri I believe the retract mount is bolted in unevenly so the wheel is flush in the well and the wheel ends up straight when down as well. Perhaps you could try that sort of geometry by putting a few washers under the retracts and trying them up and down. You might come out with a workable compromise.

hadn't thought of that because my Vailly the retracts will rotate, so won't require the shims. I will  give that a try, although it will move the wheels back when down won't it... mmmmm mayb e bot, maybe will move the wheels forward when down...not a bad thingy

compromise, compromise...

thanks glen

And cake R square, pie R round (unless it's a crisp, kinda pie, then that can be square)
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2014 at 8:34pm by Fingers »  

Karma is everything

IP Logged

stryker
Trainer Box
Your a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Jan 6th, 2019
Join: Aug 5th, 2011

New Glasgow
Zodiac sign: Scorpio

Mood:

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 9:09pm

Hey Sandy.  I wouldn't worry too much about the drag when the gear is down.  My P-51 has doors and you do notice the plane slows a lot when you drop the gear.  Actually helps on slowing it down for landing.

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!

Forum User

Dartmouth

Mood:

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 9:33pm

stryker wrote on Jan 5th, 2014 at 9:09pm:
Hey Sandy.  I wouldn't worry too much about the drag when the gear is down.  My P-51 has doors and you do notice the plane slows a lot when you drop the gear.  Actually helps on slowing it down for landing.

my biggest concern is any pitch change when the gear are dropped - some threads say the pitch down  is significant... but then, that might null out the pitch up from half flaps... Shocked

and of course i do realize the real Hurri didn't have half flap - 80 deg or nothing  Grin

Karma is everything

IP Logged

dano
Aerobatic Pilot
The Avon Splish Splash!!

Forum User

LastOn: Feb 25th, 2020
Join: Jul 7th, 2011

Kingston, NS
Awards: 2
Combat Scale Gas/Glow AwardAvon RC flyers Member

Mood:

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 8:52am

Sandy, flying your Hurri with the gear doors positioned as they are (with large gap between the gear)you will loose/damage the covers as they can rip away...in flight. Or twist to such a degree they won't retract or drop correctly. That is the same design issue I had with my Spit. The gear in the Spit also did not fit deeply enough into the well.
The solution I used is the following;
Assuming the covers are made the same as mine were, (fiberglass) I positioned the centerline(top to bottom) of the covers over a round object ie; pencil, and pushed down on the leading and trailing edges of the cover as I heated the centre with heating gun used for covering material (use glove).

You should be able to get a concave shape as the fiberglass will bend significantly under heat.

The centre of the cover will not be flush to the wing but, the leading and trailing edges of the gear cover will be.

Hope this helps.....

-

Dan Marchand

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!

Forum User

Dartmouth

Mood:

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 9:20am

yup, that helps Dan, except my covers are plywood......I'll keep it in mind tho... Smiley

Karma is everything

IP Logged

waverider
Aerobatic Pilot
The Great White Flounder

Frozen Solid

LastOn: Aug 7th, 2020
Join: Nov 8th, 2010

Edmonton
Zodiac sign: Gemini
Awards: 1
Post 2Yr Award

Mood:

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 1:32am

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2014 at 1:57am by waverider »  

image_022.jpg (165 KB | 293 )
image_022.jpg
image_023.jpg (422 KB | 310 )
image_023.jpg
image_024.jpg (32 KB | 298 )
image_024.jpg
image_025.jpg (91 KB | 291 )
image_025.jpg
image_026.jpg (196 KB | 293 )
image_026.jpg
image_027.jpg (112 KB | 294 )
image_027.jpg

Brian H
"I see no ships"

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!

Forum User

Dartmouth

Mood:

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 9:31am

dano wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 8:52am:
Sandy, flying your Hurri with the gear doors positioned as they are (with large gap between the gear)you will loose/damage the covers as they can rip away...in flight. Or twist to such a degree they won't retract or drop correctly. That is the same design issue I had with my Spit. The gear in the Spit also did not fit deeply enough into the well.
The solution I used is the following;
Assuming the covers are made the same as mine were, (fiberglass) I positioned the centerline(top to bottom) of the covers over a round object ie; pencil, and pushed down on the leading and trailing edges of the cover as I heated the centre with heating gun used for covering material (use glove).

You should be able to get a concave shape as the fiberglass will bend significantly under heat.

The centre of the cover will not be flush to the wing but, the leading and trailing edges of the gear cover will be.

Hope this helps.....

-

Dan, just realized what your comment was......sorry  Huh The gear cover is not really that proud from the wing - if you look you'll see it's sitting on a stick and a can of paint  Shocked Whatever I do the front of the cover will be flush with the wing surface at least... Smiley

Karma is everything

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter Google Digg del.icio.us reddit Linked in MySpace StumbleUpon Yahoo
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic