Welcome to our Forum, Guest.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Help/FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions. You may have to Login or Register, before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Welcome to the Avon RC Flyer's Forum.

Random Quote: When you're throwin' your weight around, be ready to have it thrown around by somebody else.

Gallery Home Page

NEWS:
See our new field weather station!
  Home Weather Network Avon Field Weather Field Wind Speed Field Orientation Gallery Home Gallery Pictures MembersLoginRegisterAwardsQuizzesGuestbookContactHelp  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Pros and Cons of Giant Scale electrics... (Read 31,309 times)
Brian
3D Pilot
Your a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Jan 2nd, 2016
Join: Nov 20th, 2011

St. Margarets Bay
Zodiac sign: Cancer

Mood:

Show the link to this post Pros and Cons of Giant Scale electrics...
Feb 6th, 2013 at 6:16am

Hi Guys,
This is something i have been thinking a lot about, as i am looking to sometime this year start a large ultimate and cannot decide to go gas or electric.

I though i might solicit advice and comments (constructive) from you guys who have more experience.

From my point of view, i'm eventually looking a a 100cc size ultimate.  If i go gas, then a DLE 111 is probably my choice due to cost.(~$500-550)
If i go electric then a Hacker 100(~$750) is what i have been looking at, with a CC 160 amp ESC(~270).

The cost of the electric setup is higher and then you need to buy at lease 8 6 cell batteries at ~ $75 each for another 300 bucks.

Secondly, there is the issue of flying time....will this setup give me enough time to complete an IMAC routine?

As far as charging goes for batteries, i think im good but could use a second charger...

So, let the discussion begin....

Why should i go one way or the other??

I appreciate your input... Wink

Brian

IP Logged

Yak Man
Club Member
Galactic Twinkie Jet Pilot Extraordinaire
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Apr 21st, 2024
Join: Mar 23rd, 2010

Zodiac sign: Capricorn
Awards: 5
Combat Scale Gas/Glow AwardExceptional Forum Content AwardPost 2Yr AwardJet Pilot AwardAvon RC flyers Member

Mood:

Show the link to this post Re: Pros and Cons of Giant Scale electrics...
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:07am

It's really up to you Brian. They both have advantage and disadvantage's. A gas setup is going to cost a bit more then what you said because your going to need a half decent servo on the throttle and possibly a second one for the chock.  Also need an ignition shut-off and about 150 to 400 bucks for a decent exhaust system. Depending on how good of one you want.
Gas system are harder to install then electric ones but once there done they work for a long time problem free.
Another thing to consider, ultimates are hard to get apart.
they wouldn't be easy to get batteries in and out.
Now that I think about, I could type pages and pages about this. Tongue

Twinkie Jet Pilot Extraordinaire

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Today
Join: Mar 22nd, 2010

Dartmouth
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Awards: 3
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers MemberTop Poster Award

Mood:

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:14am

Obviously electrics have come a long way from the "paint drying" painful flights we saw years ago at Debert... it's almost 10 years since one of the Shulman boys took an electric to the World pattern championships and came third...

Mark can wade in at any time, but we saw some of his flights last year at Truro come a bit shy of time and put him in the crops...big chunkin' packs required... that said, more guys are having great success with electric (in fact most of us have at least one in our basement)

Plane will be heavier, I think, but you'll have tons of tourque.. but then, as Al said, you gotta keep changing those packs..

go fort...

Karma is everything

IP Logged

waverider
Aerobatic Pilot
The Great White Flounder

Frozen Solid

LastOn: Aug 7th, 2020
Join: Nov 8th, 2010

Edmonton
Zodiac sign: Gemini
Awards: 1
Post 2Yr Award

Mood:

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:22am

the American husband and wife team at Margaree do not seem to have any time of flight or other problems.
The motor in the spinner is unique
they are all electric

Brian H
"I see no ships"

IP Logged

Brian
3D Pilot

Forum User

St. Margarets Bay

Mood:

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:32am

Yes Al, you are right!

I forgot about the extra parts...and i would probably want canisters if i were going gas...and smoke...lol

I'm not sure about the weight question....from everything i have read, the weights seem to come in fairly close.

The advantages of the electric, aside from as Sandy mentioned...gobbs of torque, are from my point of view, the controllability of the throttle on the down rev, and the fact that you don't get a "dead stick" until the end....lol

The big disadvantages are the cost of the batteries and the charge time.

I'm thinking that for IMAC i would need at least two complete sets of batteries, thats two sets of 4x6cells at say $75/battery, or $600 bucks!

I don't think i will know for sure about the flight times until i go fly the pattern.

One other thing i read was that the wind can really affect the flight times.  Flying into the wind simply eats up more power...

I don't notice this on smaller planes, but then again i'm only flying one battery.

Brian

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!

Forum User

Dartmouth

Mood:

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:29am

The couple at Margaree use Plettenberg motors I think......the motor is built right into the spinner... new take on the old rotary engine from WWI..

Karma is everything

IP Logged

whitey
Club Member
Night Vapour Long Duration Champion - Moncton 2013 Fun Fly

I Like My Vapour

LastOn: Yesterday
Join: Mar 10th, 2011

Bedford, Nova Scotia
Zodiac sign: Aries
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers MemberThe M. Whitey Land Award

Mood:

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:41am

Jon Eastman is also a good resource to tap into. He has been running large electrics for some time. One thing to consider with batteries is to think of them as fuel. They will be a recurring cost, not a one-time cost. They get tired and wear just like any other part. The cannister comment was a good one, as the noise issue is real and not going away at our field at least. the stock mufflers on any of the DLE's or Da's will sit in the box, as they simply are far too loud to use at our field.

IP Logged

waverider
Aerobatic Pilot
The Great White Flounder

Frozen Solid

LastOn: Aug 7th, 2020
Join: Nov 8th, 2010

Edmonton
Zodiac sign: Gemini
Post 2Yr Award

Mood:

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:02pm

http://www.icare-rc.com/plettenberg_predator.htm

daga daga daga

Fingers wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:29am:
The couple at Margaree use Plettenberg motors I think......the motor is built right into the spinner... new take on the old rotary engine from WWI..

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:03pm by waverider »  

Brian H
"I see no ships"

IP Logged

Raptor
Club Member

Forum User

Join: Mar 21st, 2010

Lower Sackville
Zodiac sign: Taurus
Awards: 2
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers Member

Mood:

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:47pm

Just a though on batteries , did you consider the battery charger and the time it will take you each week to charge the batteries ?

Raptor  
IP Logged

Ben Lann
Aerobatic Pilot

Forum User

LastOn: Aug 11th, 2023
Join: Aug 15th, 2011

New Glasgow, NS

Mood:

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 1:04pm

Thought I'd chime in.  I flew IMAC last year with a 30cc size electrified Edge 540 running on 6S.  I ended up beating 4 other gassers in sportsman at Windsor and competed well at the Truro competition. Electric is here to stay  Wink

I had 4 6S 6000 batts for the summer.  Average flight time was about 7 minutes and charge time was about 45 mins but I wasn't charging them as fast as I could have at the field because I didn't have a generator.

To me this was ideal.  On a good Saturday or Sunday I'd have about 8 flights each day and have time in between charges to chat with the guys.

This I think is probably the most cost effective anything bigger it is going to get expensive.

This year's project is an 87" Yak that I'm running on 12S

So now I am looking at another 4 flight batteries, a bigger charger, bigger power supply, and a generator.  Not to mention a much more expensive motor and esc.

So for me it is a wait and see thing.  If I get the flight times I have read which are somewhere in the 10 minute range, and the motor performs better than a DA 60 as advertised I think I'll be very happy.

The only thing for me will be the charging times.  If I can't effectively charge at the field as I did last year it could put a damper on the fun.

My main reason for going electric is I know very little about gas or glow engines.  Growing up I flew a lot electric gliders and enjoyed the simplicity of it.

I also like the idea of trying something new and unique that a lot of people aren't ready to adopt.  It's a talking point when I go to a competition or a fun fly.  A lot of people want to know what I am running. 

For me the 50cc airframe is right on the edge of making sense to run electric.  Anything larger gas is probably the right choice. 

Just keep in mind it isn't just the plane you need to be worried about as far as cost goes there is all the support gear, charger, power supply, generator you need to go along with it.

Like Al said it comes down to personal choice.  I think something of the Ultimate's size and weight might be an expensive proposition but doable.

Ok now I am done.  I am such an attention whore Grin

http://www.facebook.com/ben.lann  
IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!

Forum User

Dartmouth

Mood:

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 1:55pm

Ben Lann wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 1:04pm:
Thought I'd chime in.  I flew IMAC last year with a 30cc size electrified Edge 540 running on 6S.  I ended up beating 4 other gassers in sportsman at Windsor and competed well at the Truro competition. Electric is here to stay  Wink

blah blah blah......... attention hooore is right  Cheesy

Karma is everything

IP Logged

Shane Morse
Club Member

Forum User

LastOn: Apr 22nd, 2024
Join: Sep 2nd, 2011

Somerset
Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 2:08pm

For me it all comes down to what I can afford to fly.  The cost of getting all the goodies to make an 50cc size bird electric and do it right is far greater than picking up an affordable gas engine and flying all day on a gallon or so of fuel.  I will just pick up an bottle of green loctite and breath gas   Shocked

IP Logged

Ramzz
3D Pilot
Faster Than A Speeding Lugi!!!

Forum User

LastOn: May 4th, 2021
Join: Sep 5th, 2011

Petitcodiac, NB
Jet Pilot Award

Mood:

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 5:58pm

Some great points have been made.  I will add my 2 cents....i mean 5 cents.

That 60 inch electric extra that crashed in the weeds at the Truro IMAC is a pretty good illustration of one of the downfalls of electric.  I blame it solely on myself as I had a cheap HK battery that was too small.  I used a 3300 mah 6S Nano Tech at the Truro IMAC and I flew it at the Avon IMAC with a 3700 Pulse Ultra.  Night and day difference.  Easily getting 9 min flights (can do 2 advanced sequences) and still have great power at the end with the Pulse battery.  A fresh battery is yeilding 285 watter per lb static (probably a little more with the Pulse).  That is silly power.  My 89inch Extra will be pushing 320 watts per lb.  Flight time may be an issue.

That being said, if you want an economical setup, don't even bother with bigger electrics.  As it stands right now a 50cc gas setup versus a equivalent electric setup are not that far apart as far as cost.  To get a gas setup that is comparable powerwise, you are probably looking at DA60 with a tuned pipe and all the associated crap.  Pretty much count on dropping anywhere between 650$ to 1000$ on a gas setup.  My Rimfire 65 that I will be using will spin a 24x12 at around 6000 rpm and draw around 6000 watts.  A piped DA60 might get 4000 watts and the majority of it happens in the high rpm ranges.

For me, the linear throttle response is huge.  Whether i want to fly 3D or precision, it is as linear as it gets.

Like Ben said, charge time can be a killer.  However if you have the proper equipment, it is not an issue unless you want to get 4 or 5 flights in within an hour.  Most of the newer batteries will charge properly in 30 minutes (2C charge rate).  I have a 2000 watt Honda generator, a 12v 60 amp power supply, a 12v 47 amp power supply and 2 dual port 800w chargers with parallel charging boards.  Each power supply was around 50$ and each charger came in around 130$ landed from HK.  Not cheap but not crazy expensive either.  My chargers are capable of charging 4 6S lipos at 16 amps each..all at the same time.  That would be 4 6S 8000mah lipo's charged in 30 minutes all at the same time. My power supplies are not up to that task but I may upgrade in the future if need be.  For now, my el cheapo supplies are fine.  With this charging power, I will be running only 1 set of batteries.  For me, I like to fly and then sit back, relax and join in the peanut gallery to make fun of Whitelaw's various airframes.

I am going all electric because it is something somewhat different and we are all going to be flying electric sooner than later...it is just a matter of time.  Once we see another leap forward in battery technology, it will all but kill IC in the generic sport models that we fly 95% of the time. 

IP Logged

Ben Lann
Aerobatic Pilot

Forum User

New Glasgow, NS

Mood:

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 6:55pm

Might I add Sandy that electrics do also come in pink or purple  Grin

IP Logged

Brian
3D Pilot

Forum User

St. Margarets Bay

Mood:

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:36pm

Hi Ben, Mark,

I already have a generator and 4 x 6 cell batteries to run in the Yak.  I think i will pick up a larger DC charger that can do 2 x 6 cells at the same time. I also have a large deep cell battery that i got off a boat.  I figure it will charge several batteries per charge and the genny could charge it in between.

So, at the moment i can do two flights then charge.

My plan is to fly the Yak all summer while saving for the new plane in the fall.

I only wish there were more Imac's this summer!

Brian

by the way Mark, where do you get the pulse batteries?

IP Logged

Ramzz
3D Pilot
Faster Than A Speeding Lugi!!!

Forum User

LastOn: May 4th, 2021
Join: Sep 5th, 2011

Petitcodiac, NB
Jet Pilot Award

Mood:

Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:16pm

http://www.rotorquest.com/index.php?cPath=31

From what I have read, the Pulse Ultra's and Gens Ace batteries are the same thing only with different labels.  I have heard many great things about the Gens Ace however I do not have any personal experience yet.

IP Logged

whitey
Club Member
Night Vapour Long Duration Champion - Moncton 2013 Fun Fly

I Like My Vapour

LastOn: Yesterday
Join: Mar 10th, 2011

Bedford, Nova Scotia
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers MemberThe M. Whitey Land Award

Mood:

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:25pm

I am running Gens Ace in a number of planes and they are great. you can get them at Hobbypartz.com. Not expensive either.

IP Logged

Ben Lann
Aerobatic Pilot

Forum User

New Glasgow, NS

Mood:

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:58pm

I used a large deep cell battery last summer and with the larger 6S packs I was lucky to get 3 maybe 4 charges before the battery wouldn't charge anymore.  Wasn't as much of an issue as I had 4 6S packs and I was only using one per flight.

If you are running two packs per flight a generator is going to be a necessity.

IP Logged

Brian
3D Pilot

Forum User

St. Margarets Bay

Mood:

Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:32am

I haven't tried the Gen Ace batteries yet, i have been using the Sky Lipo's for a couple of years now and they are very good batteries...not sure how they compare.

BTW, the nice thing about Hobby Partz is the $10 flat fee shipping!!

Brian

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!

Forum User

Dartmouth

Mood:

Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 9:46am

Brian wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:36pm:
Hi Ben, Mark,

I only wish there were more Imac's this summer!

Brian

we're trying to get another contest Brian - Mark is just too busy to direct the 2 day Truro  contest, even tho we have approval from MAST to hold it there. SO, we need 2 or 3 or 4 guys to step up and run that one.... Lips Sealed

Karma is everything

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Facebook Twitter Google Digg del.icio.us reddit Linked in MySpace StumbleUpon Yahoo
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic