Welcome to our Forum, Guest.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Help/FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions. You may have to Login or Register, before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Welcome to the Avon RC Flyer's Forum.

Random Quote: Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (P)anic

Gallery Home Page

NEWS:
See our new field weather station!
  Home Weather Network Avon Field Weather Field Wind Speed Field Orientation Gallery Home Gallery Pictures MembersLoginRegisterAwardsQuizzesGuestbookContactHelp  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Isolation Mounts - To Isolate or not to Isolate - that is the question (Read 5,715 times)

waverider
Aerobatic Pilot
The Great White Flounder
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Frozen Solid

LastOn: Aug 7th, 2020
Join: Nov 8th, 2010

Edmonton
Zodiac sign: Gemini
Awards: 1
Post 2Yr Award

Mood:

Show the link to this post Isolation Mounts - To Isolate or not to Isolate - that is the question
Apr 11th, 2012 at 3:23pm

Excepted from Flying Giants Website
DA120 Isolation Mount

If you want the ultimate quiet set up I've personally seen for the DA-120 is the following:

Hyde Soft mount
    ES Composite Pipes
    Biela 29X10 2-Blade prop (or even Quieter Biela 27X12 3-Blade)

I have been using Merle Hyde's Soft mounts for the last year and am hooked I won't have a Giant Scale plane without it.

John Durant was the 1st plane I saw with it and was sold once I saw it and talked with him about the mounts.

Benefits:

Absorbs over 60% of damaging vibration to electronics and airframe
    Servo Pots and Gears last 10 times longer
    10-40% less MAH used per flight (I went from 1100mah a flight down to 750mah a flight)
    Much quieter operation
    I'm sure there are more benefits but that is what I can remember off the top of my head (I have over 200 flights on my Yak and not one loose glue joint, worn servo pot or even any gear slop in any of the servos)

Downside:

Weight. The switch over on my 170cc Yak cost me an additional 6.5 ozs
    You need 3/4" to 1" of room for the mount.

Merle Hyde (Chip Hyde's Dad) Has perfected these mounts and has been making them for years Chip used them on all his TOC planes and Merle told me a story about one time his huge Circus Circus Bi-Plane threw a blade on the prop and Chip circled around noticed something was wrong and landed with Zero damage to the airframe. If it had been a hard mounted engine the engine would have sheared off the motor box and the plane would have gone down. I know this because it happened to me before I knew about the soft mounts.

He does not advertise or even have a website. Most of his mounts are made for F3A Pattern planes which are sold through Central Hobbies. He also makes them for Giant scale but you have to go direct to Merle as they are custom made to order.

I currently have them on my:

42% ML Dalton DA-170 and Greeves Pipes
    37.5% Pilot Yak DA-170 and RE3 pipes
    35% Edge 540 DA-120 and ES Composite Pipes
    40% SBACH DA-120 (waiting for plane)
    30% Edge DA-60 (waiting for engine)

And slowing converting my fleet over to them.

I just bang around the sky but I was looking to extend the life of my electronics and airframe. He has some customers with over 7,500 flights on the same mount and airframe still going strong.

In fact I think he gives a 3 year 5,000 flight money back guarantee if you don't like it.

He custom makes all the mounts so you can have them for any application.

I have to warn you if you try one you want them for all your planes.

Contact Merle for all the technical info:
702-269-7829
hydesoftmounts@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:15pm by waverider »  

Brian H
"I see no ships"

IP Logged

Fingers
YaBB Moderator
I still got all five!
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Today
Join: Mar 22nd, 2010

Dartmouth
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Awards: 3
Post 2Yr AwardAvon RC flyers MemberTop Poster Award

Mood:

Show the link to this post Re: Hyde Isolation Mounts - practical experience
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 4:08pm

hmmmmm, at least one of my engine applications "specifies" no soft mounts period....

and I find the claim of flying around with 1 blade of a 3 blade prop missing just a bit much....IMHO Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2012 at 8:23am by Fingers »  

Karma is everything

IP Logged

Yak Man
Club Member
Galactic Twinkie Jet Pilot Extraordinaire
Your a StarYour a StarYour a StarYour a Star

Forum User

LastOn: Apr 16th, 2024
Join: Mar 23rd, 2010

Zodiac sign: Capricorn
Awards: 5
Combat Scale Gas/Glow AwardExceptional Forum Content AwardPost 2Yr AwardJet Pilot AwardAvon RC flyers Member

Mood:

Show the link to this post Re: Hyde Isolation Mounts - practical experience
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 5:52am

I agree with you Sandy. Theres no way that I'm getting in front of a soft mounted DA 170!  I like life! Huh
I wouldn"t want to pay for all the cracked pipes either.

Twinkie Jet Pilot Extraordinaire

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Facebook Twitter Google Digg del.icio.us reddit Linked in MySpace StumbleUpon Yahoo
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic